8.26.2010

Paper Artists

as an artist and fairly recent college grad with super limited funds
i am in the process of defining my practice of art making beyond the structure of higher educational walls and the determined curriculum and work load inside those walls
when i look at the past year or so that i've been out of school
i see my art marking as almost nonexistent
but i think that is mostly because i am a sculptor and installation artist
and i have been exploring and teaching myself design and typography to serve a more utilitarian purpose than the majority of my previous art making
i know that design is very much an art practice
but i struggle to see my design as such because of...
i don't know why
because its chiefly to serve a practical purpose in my life
and because i don't know what the hell i'm doing and it feels undisciplined and like play
not like the work of the studio that i am accustomed to

so
i am currently drawn to paper based artists such as {jen stark}



 {jeff nishinaka}



{yulia brodskaya}



{charles clary}



{andreas kocks}



because they use such a readily available and relatively inexpensive medium
i want to start integrating my sculpture and design and paper seems like a very plausible way to begin under my current financial circumstances
i'm going to try
though i am worried because i am not a very meticulous person
and this work screams meticulous and precise


this is the most i've ever written on here
go me